Raising awareness and understanding towards homelessness among college students.
The day to day struggle of college students is Real. Outside of the expected pressures of completing a degree, students are facing an increased number of indirect challenges that inhibit their ability to complete their education. The common perception of homelessness often excludes individuals working through unstable and hostile environments. The lack of resources available, coupled with the negative bias towards homelessness, the lack of awareness, and the lack of understanding, make this challenge difficult to identify and resolve.
CoAct in partnership with a few student champions created Real Stories to fuel narrative change into the college experience and homelessness. Built as both a traveling art installation and a virtual experience, Real Stories creates a space free of judgement and retaliation where students can be their authentic selves and share inspiring stories to raise awareness and understanding to the unique challenges students face, and the extents of their personal perseverance.
1) Raise awareness and understanding on college homelessness.
2) Create a space that is free of judgement or retaliation to share personal student experiences.
3) Identify unique and individual challenges faced by students pursuing their potential.
4) Create a space to empower students with the tools to amplify their voice and incite change.
5) Create a space to build personal peer support for students.
Visit Our Virtual Gallery
Real Stories Virtual builds off our in-person installation to give visitors an immersive experience into the social and emotional challenges faced by today's college students. Each gallery is inspired by an individual student story and provides a unique perspective on their journey into and out of homelessness and where they aspire to be.
This project would not have been possible without support from the following partners and funders.